Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"E" is for Erte and Elegance

I am realizing that this A to Z blog is a real commitment. I am so conscious of trying to write something everyday and as soon as I am done my thoughts go to what will I write tomorrow. If my Ex and I had had this kind of commitment, we'd still be married.


Anyway, today's thoughts must include the letter "E". My thoughts immediately went to one of my favorite designers from the past Erte. His design influence was as important to the Art Deco Period as was the industrial and the architectural influences of that time. I have always loved this design period and have been fascinated by Erte's work.


The elegance is obvious and the theatrical elements are wonderful.


The outrageous and beautiful costumes that Cher, Tina Turner, Bette Midler and Carol Burnette wore long before Lady Ga Ga and Katy Perry hit the stage were designed by another of my favorites, Bob Mackie. His designs are also very reminiscent of Erte.


As I look at some of Erte's designs here, I can see them modernized a bit and can picture Katy Perry, Rhianna, or Lady Ga Ga wearing these same designs today.


5 comments:

  1. That was some awesome artwork!
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Happy E Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Erte too...such stunning artwork, design, clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts on Erte. Keep culture alive!

    ReplyDelete