Tuesday, March 15, 2011

TGIT: Thank God It's Tuesday


It's Tuesday again which is my Saturday. I am so happy to be able to have the next few days to finish some of my dolls. I am so grateful to be working again although it's only part time. I was out of work for over two years. I used the down time to go back to school to learn some new skills but even with with new skills and training, jobs are still scarce in my part of the world. Sacramento, California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. While I was out of work I also used the time to be more creative and really enjoyed the freedom to work on a variety of art projects. So now, my days off are like gold.
My goal is to finish four of my dolls that are almost done. Miley has hair, makeup and costume now and I'm down to the small stuff. She needs fingers and a few details on her thigh boots.

Maixiu is done and just needs shoes, jewelry and hands and a little tweaking for her hair. I really love how she has turned out. She is my first doll in Asian costume and I have plans for a second Asian doll.

Ga Ga is giving me some creative problems. Her face and hair are done but I want something special for her costume and can't decide how to put it together.
My fourth doll is a challenge doll from one of the doll groups I belong to, "Cloth Doll Artistry." We were challenged to create an alter ego doll. I had a hard time getting started because I thought it was supposed to be an art doll. An art doll to me is something abstract and unusual. I'm not very good with abstract art so I couldn't seem to get started. The doll is due on the 20th, so time has been getting away from me. I decided to just create a doll that is a tribute to an entertainer who has made me smile since I was a teenager over the past almost 50 years, (wow I'm getting old). I won't be able to reveal her here until after the reveal on the group website after the 20th. We also had an angel doll challenge. I finished that challenge so quickly I had time to make both of the designs I came up with. I will post those pictures after the 20th as well.



I work at a place called The Market Place in Ranch Cordova. I am around creative and artistic people all of the time. We have art and books by local artists and authors, antiques and collectibles, jewelry by gifted designers and crafts people and crafts by a variety of other designers. We had a book launch for new author Margie Yee Webb this past Saturday. She has written a book called Cat Mulan's Mindful Musings. Her adorable cat inspired her to take photographs and write inspirational words to go with them and it became this wonderful little book. She has a website called catmulan.com and will have a newsletter coming soon. If you are a cat lover and even if you are not Cat Mulan will make you smile. Margie's words are words to live by.
I'm signing off now. My next post will happily be pictures of my newest completed 'Girls'. I am so excited!!

1 comment: