Friday, April 1, 2011

After The Storm

I am happy to say that my current project now has arms and legs and she is no longer "topless" (not shown in this picture). I was working on her wig on Wednesday and got a lot done. I remembered that I promised myself some outdoor time after getting through last week's storms, wanted to see what the winds had done. I pack a bottle of water and my camera in my purse and put on a pair of comfortable shoes and went out to see what I could see.


One of my favorite parks in Sacramento is "William Land Park". Sad to say we lost a number of our beautiful trees. It's so strange to see something that was 30 or 40 foot tall that has been growing for so many years just lying on the ground with its roots up ended. I wish there was a way to put them back in the ground so that they can keep growing but instead, they will be chopped up into fire wood and mulch.
It almost feels like I've lost family and friends to the storm.












The river is the highest it has been in over a decade. We are at 159% of normal for water this year due to the heavy rains and the snow pack. The governor declared that we are no longer in a drought for the first time in 5 or 6 years. So, good things also came out of the storm.

I got a lot of walking in on Wednesday and realized just how out of shape I am. I was exhausted. I am making a pledged to myself to get out more now that the weather is getting nice again. I will just have to pack up my doll projects and take them on the road. Working on them outside will be healthy for them and me.






Knowing that spring is here gives us all hope that this is again a new beginning. There is a culture, I'm not sure which one, who has their New Year celebration in spring instead of winter. That really makes sense because this is time when there is new growth, the shedding of old skins for new ones, building new structures, and time to get reacquainted with nature.


Yes, I will definitely be spending more time outside working on my dolls. I don't want to waste this beautiful season.

No comments:

Post a Comment